DWI / DUI Lawyer in Raleigh NC
Hiring an experienced and effective Raleigh DWI Lawyer to defend against a conviction is an important decision.
DWI(Driving While Impaired)/DUI(Driving Under the Influence) convictions can lead to heavy fines, a one-year suspension of your license, a 400% increase in your insurance and up to two years in prison. Remember, just because you have been arrested for driving while impaired, or even if you failed a BAC test, doesn’t necessarily mean you are guilty or that you don’t have legal options.
The Law Office of Dewey P. Brinkley has helped out thousands of clients throughout Raleigh, Wake County, and North Carolina. No matter the conditions of your arrest, we’ll work with you to put your interests at the front of our criminal defense strategies. Through diligent investigation and aggressive representation, we’ll fight for a not-guilty charge or a case dismissal. If the evidence is stacked against, we boast extensive experience in pursuing reduced or alternative sentencing, such as an alcohol monitoring device. For a free initial consultation with Raleigh’s most trusted DWI /DUI lawyer, contact the Law Office of Dewey P. Brinkley today at919-832-0307. In the meantime, feel free to read through our helpful guides to common DWI inquiries.
How We Can Help You Fight DWI Charges
DWI cases are built around three crucial elements:
1. Evidence of Bad Driving — Law enforcement must have a reasonable suspicion to stop your vehicle before they turn on the lights and siren. Often, evidence of lawful driving can be used to bolster your case.
2. Performance on Field Sobriety Tests — Many law enforcement officers are inexperienced or improperly trained on how to administer field sobriety tests. As your Raleigh DWI Lawyer, we are educated on the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration guidelines, and understand how your performance on these tests can be used to your advantage.
3. Results of a Breath or Blood Test — Test results for impairment are the linchpin of any DWI prosecution. But our state also requires that officers inform those charged with certain rights, including the right to have a witness present during the test. Officers must also hold valid chemical analyst permits and breath instruments must be properly maintained. We understand the laws governing breath and blood tests, and will fight for your rights to suppress an unlawful breath or blood testing procedure.
Nevertheless, it is important to note that not all DWI cases are the same, as each includes a unique set of circumstances. Typically, it is through these circumstances that our attorneys can either find evidence of police or prosecutor mistakes or uncover certain details that makes you more sympathetic to the judge (such as driving behavior when the officer initially pulled you over).
In addition to representation in court, the Law Office of Dewey P. Brinkley can guide you through DMV hearings, the effects of a DWI allegation or conviction on your insurance, and driving privileges, such as a suspended or revoked license.
DWI Practice Areas
DWI comprises a broad field, ranging from police procedures in a DWI stop to issues regarding juveniles and underage drinking. Furthermore, at the District 10 Wake County Courthouse, located at 316 Fayetteville Street in Raleigh, you may have to appear for a variety of reasons, such as for Drug Treatment Court, your arraignment, and other reasons. To understand how the Law Office of Dewey P. Brinkley can better help your unique case, please feel free to read through some of our resources found on this website:
- DWI Penalties
- Field Sobriety Tests
- Commercial DWI
- DUID (Driving Under the Influence of Drugs)
- Underage Alcohol
- Alcohol Monitoring Devices
Dewey P. Brinkley has also written a few helpful blog posts on DWIs, including:
- Guidance on Blood Tests
- DWI Traffic Stops Part One: Don’t Answer Those Innocent Little Questions!
- DWI Traffic Stops Part Two: Don’t Do the Tests
- DWI Traffic Stops Part Three: To Blow or Not to Blow, that is the Question
And lastly, here are a few other useful resources regarding DWI in North Carolina:
- Alcohol Drug Education Traffic School (ADETS) in North Carolina
- DWI Process in North Carolina from the State Health and Human Services Department
- Potential Punishment for DWI in North Carolina
Full-Service Criminal Defense Attorney in Raleigh
At the criminal defense law office of Dewey P. Brinkley, we work to discover details that raise legitimate questions about your Raleigh DWI case against you. In some instances, the prosecution has a difficult time proving conclusively that the defendant was in fact impaired at the time he or she was driving. In other cases, the results of the alcohol test may be less conclusive than they first appeared.